Thursday 1 March 2012

Moths

In the process of tidying up some old documents, I came across this. Something I wrote about 14 years ago, and had completely forgotten about. Odd how I sometimes read my old writings and find it hard to believe that I wrote them.
 It's a bit wordy, but I can't bring myself to dump it . . .


Moths

The light-hungry moths assault the window
Attracted, it’s said, by the moon-resemblance of electric glow
Is this true? Are they so stupid?
Or does our perception lag behind that which they know?

These questions unanswerable of course
Posed by fools, poets or scientists who divorce
Their seeing-eye from dreaming
Of a pinned-down truth, their only resource.

For my part, I speculate (as I stare into the night)
Perhaps it is light alone they desire - any light
Drawn by the call of an erotic grail
And the promise of a luminescent bite

If this is so, we have much to fear
Light blinds and burns if we stray too near
Its incandescent sanctuary

We are so easily destroyed by that which we revere.

1 comment: