Sunday 18 July 2010

Marat/Sade

We recently watched Marat/Sade, I hadn't seen it for years and had forgotten just how mind-blowingly good it is.

See it if you can. Unforgettable.

I can't resist quoting this:


When I lay in the Bastille for 13 long years I learned that this is a world of bodies: each body pulsing with it's own terrible power. Each body alone and racked with it's own unrest.
In that lonliness, marooned in a stone sea I heard lips whispering continually and felt, all the time, in the palms of my hands and in my skin, the need for contact.
Shut behind13 bolted doors, my feet fettered, I dreamed only of the orifices of the body, put there so one may hook and twine oneself in them.
Continually I dreamed of this confontation. it was a dream of the most savage, jealous and cruellest imagining.

Marat, These cells of the inner self are worse than the deepest stone dungeons. And as long as they are locked, all your revolution is but a prison mute, to be put down by corrupted fellow prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment