Wednesday 17 March 2010

Graham Bond

Bond was a brilliant bluesman. And a thelemic magician. Sadly, he died, in slightly mysterious circumstances, under the wheels of a train in 1974. Info about him here.

His album Holy Magick has long been one of my favorites. Thoroughly recommended.

Back in 1970 I was in London for a few days when I went to a benefit gig for the Chicago Seven. Among those playing was Bond. I vaguely remember him announcing that they were going to perform stuff from the Holy Magick album. Sad to say, I don't remember any of it. This is because when we went in, we met someone carrying a tray full of free cups of fruit juice, so we had one and later found out they'd been spiked with LSD - my first trip. My memories of that night are a confused jumble, but I do remember having a damned good time. At one point I was stumbling around in a haze and almost bumped into Bond and his band on their way out. I could have spoken to him, I didn't. I wasn't familiar with his music back then, or thelemic magick. So I just stumbled on. A few years later, when I found my way into magick, and came across Bond's album, I really regretted not making more of that night. C'est la vie.

I often wonder if my first acid experience coinciding with Bond doing magickal stuff on stage played a part in my later development. I'll never know. But it's a nice thought.

Here's 'Love Is The Law' by him. For all you thelemites out there.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a safe bet that trip affected your brain! ;-) For the better.

    I still have that tape you made me of the album years ago!

    ReplyDelete